We’ve been talking this summer about using food as medicine, and we’ve learned how powerful food is….both for the good and for the bad. I’ve had so many people tell me that they hear what I’m saying, but they just can’t give up ___________________(fill in the blank).
What’s your “blank?” For many people, it’s POTATO CHIPS! There’s something about the crunch and the salt that people just can’t get enough of. Today, instead of focusing on one food, I’m going to share 2 recipes that fit our theme of food=medicine. And, guess what? They’re the perfect snack to swap for potato chips. Give it a try!
Kale tops the list of healthy greens as an excellent source of beta-carotene and vitamin C, two antioxidants believed to be major players in the body’s battle against cancer, heart disease, and certain age-related declines in vision and cognitive function. Kale is packed with readily absorbed calcium, a mineral that is vital to warding off the bone-thinning disease, osteoporosis, and may also help keep blood pressure in healthy range. Kale also provides decent amounts of folate, iron, and potassium.
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop kale into ½ inch pieces.
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and massage the oil, lemon juice, and seal salt into the kale using your hands. (If you want an extra kick, add paprika too!)
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheets and bake for 12 minutes.
Baked Apple Rings
As we learned a few weeks ago, apples really are awesome! They are rich in vitamin C, which is essential to a strong immune system. Eating an apple a day can help your body fight off colds, flu, and other illnesses. Apples also contain vitamins A, E, and K and the minerals potassium and calcium.
- 6 large apples
- 1 teaspoon of each: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Core apples then slice thinly with a knife or mandolin.
- Toss apples with spices and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with additional cinnamon and serve!
Enjoy your healthy summer snacking!!!
Stay happy, healthy, and N motion, AND REMEMBER…age is just a number!
Melissa Merkle and Kirt Lietzow own Boomers N Motion, an exercise and health coaching business focused on keeping baby boomers and older adults healthy into their golden years. For more information on group classes and private, in-home coaching, please contact Melissa and Kirt at coaches@boomersNmotion.com.